Also on the stove was a huge pot of water that I was bringing to a boil as I prepared to can two quarts and four pints of local apricots. In a couple of hours, when my husband came home, I'd make our simple dinner -- a broiled veal steak (a good value at less than $5.00 for the steak that we'd share) and a salad of baby arugula, mushrooms, red onions and lemon vinaigrette. I'd bought the red onions at the Saturday Greenmarket but the other ingredients were from my neighborhood supermarket's very good produce department....But I was distracted. My mind was back reading the newspaper, specifically Michael Pollan's article, "No One Cooks Here Anymore." ....So no one cooks anymore? "How can this be?" I think to myself as I stir my tomato paste, slice my apricots, and take the steak out of the refrigerator to come to room temperature.
The City Cook: Off the Couch. Back to the Kitchen.
No comments:
Post a Comment