2.03.2010

In the Army now (reading)

I know almost nothing about US military history but for professional reasons have decided it would behoove me to start picking up a little.  Fiddling around on the National Defense University website I found the Professional Military Reading List for each branch of the Armed Forces, with sub-lists for various ranks.  The recommendations aren't limited to military history- Tom Friedmand, Khaled Hosseini, and Steven R. Covey (his book "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People is recommended for Junior Enlisted members of the Navy) are all represented.  The Marine Corps even includes discussion guides for their picks!  These lists are a good place to start my learning journey, they're also an interesting glimpse at how the military is trying to prepare its members intellectually for their tasks.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

mwahaha. I've found you!
It's time for a nerdbomb!
My military history is thoroughly based on the museum exhibition The Price of Freedom: Americans at War.
http://americanhistory.si.edu/militaryhistory/ No joke. Like to remember major conflicts, I definitely envision the exhibit space:) We even have streaming videos now.

Tom Copeland said...

I put up a little site for folks to track their progress through the various military reading lists; lots of good stuff there. I've got a book from the Joint Chiefs' reading list on my shelf, waiting to be read now...