7.25.2008

NYT: Weekenders

Occasionally, the New York Times publishes an article about people whose lives and problems are so out of touch with the average person's that it borders on satire. Case in point: today's "How Weekenders Get All of It There and Back", about people who have trouble remembering what to pack when they go to their beach/mountain house. It's full of quotes like this: "While the two-of-everything business has the whiff of a winning strategy, it does have certain flaws, as Mr. McCarthy’s wife, Cathy, pointed out. 'I always end up having two jars of mayonnaise in one house and none in the other,” she said. “Then I can never remember which house has it and which house doesn’t.' " Truly, your heart bleeds for these people. The most troubling? The woman who admits '“Once we forgot our daughter,” she confessed. “I thought she was in the back seat.” And though the situation was hastily rectified, “she’ll never let me forget that one.” ' Indeed.

No comments: